Last Updated: October 23, 2018
Information We Collect and How We Collect It
The information that we may collect from or about you broadly falls into the following categories:
- Information that you voluntarily provide to us, for example, your contact and payment information.
- Information that we automatically collect through your use of the Site, for example, data collected by servers, cookies, and analytics and advertising services.
We Collect Information You Voluntarily Provide to Us
Contact Information. You can visit and use the Site without voluntarily sharing your personal information with us, but you must provide your contact information to use certain features of the Site. We will collect any contact information from or about you that you choose to submit to us, which may include your name, email address, physical address, telephone number, and company name.
Payment Information. Room reservations and other online purchases (e.g., enrolling in GiveBack Rewards) must be made by credit or debit card. To process your transactions, we temporarily collect credit and debit card information and we provide such information to our PCI-compliant third-party payment processors. We do not permanently store your credit or debit card information. To make a reservation or other online purchase through the Site, you will need to submit your name and your credit or debit card type, number, expiration date, security code, and billing address. Payment by credit or debit card is subject to the approval of the card issuer. We will not be liable in any way if a card issuer refuses to accept a credit or debit card for any reason. We will maintain a record of the purchases that you make using the Site.
Information We Collect When You Opt In to Marketing Communications. If you sign up or otherwise opt in to receive marketing communications from us, you may need to submit your name, phone number, mailing address, and email address. We may use this information to provide you with marketing communications, such as promotional offers, brand updates, newsletters, GiveBack Rewards offers and updates, and other physical and electronic communications. You may opt out of receiving marketing communications from us at any time by following the unsubscribe instructions contained in the applicable email or by contacting us. We may use third-party providers to deliver marketing communications to you.
GreenTree GiveBack Rewards. To sign up for the GreenTree GiveBack Rewards® program you will need to submit your name, email address, and create a password. If you use the Site while logged into your GreenTree GiveBack Rewards account or if you use your GreenTree GiveBack Rewards number at a GreenTree location, we will collect information about your activity and transactions, for example, your purchases and the GreenTree locations you have visited. We collect any additional information you may provide, such as personal preferences, date of birth, frequency of travel, purpose of travel, and preferred GreenTree location.
Franchise Inquiries. If you fill out an inquiry form on the Site with respect to GreenTree franchising opportunities, you will need to submit various information pertaining to the prospective franchisee, including your name, your business name, phone number, and email address. You may also provide other information.
Information We Collect through Your Use of the Site
Account Activity. If you use the Site while signed into your GreenTree account, we will collect information on how you use your account and the Site.
IP Addresses and Related Data. When you use the Site, we may automatically collect certain information from your device. In some countries, including countries in the European Economic Area (“EEA”), this information may be considered personal information under applicable data protection laws. Specifically, the servers used to operate and provide the Site may collect data pertaining to you and the equipment, software, and communication methods you use to access the internet and the Site, including internet protocol (“IP”) addresses assigned to the computers and other devices from where you access the internet, your internet service provider (ISP), your device ID number, your approximate geographic location, your browser type, the pages you access on the Site, the websites you access before and after visiting the Site, the length of time you spend on the Site, date and time stamps, and clickstream data. GreenTree may use this information to administer the Site and its servers, to generate statistical information, to monitor and analyze Site traffic and usage patterns, to monitor and help prevent fraud, to investigate complaints and violations of our policies, and to improve the Site’s content and the products, services, materials, and other content that we describe or make available through the Site (see also how we use Google Analytics as described below). We may combine this information with other Collected Information (including personal information) and information obtained from third parties for security reasons and to protect our rights or the rights of others as discussed below. The suppliers that we use to provide the Site may collect information about your visits to the Site and other websites. Some of this information may be collected using cookies and similar tracking technologies as explained further below under “Cookies.”
Due to this automatic collection of data using cookies, we do not honor “do not track” requests.
- Operationally necessary. These are cookies that are required for the operation of the Site. For example, these cookies are required to identify irregular website behavior, prevent fraudulent activity, and improve security. They also allow users of the Site to make use of its functions.
- Functionality related. These cookies allow us to offer you enhanced functionality when accessing or using the Site. This may include to remembering choices you make, for example and as applicable, remembering your username, preferences, or settings, remembering if you reacted to something on or through the Site so that you are not asked to do it again, remembering if you have used any feature of the Site before, restricting the number of times you are shown a particular advertisement, remembering your location, and enabling social media components. As described above, you may disable functional cookies, but if you do so then various functions of the Site may be unavailable to you or may not work the way you want them to.
- Performance related. These cookies assess the performance of the Site, including as part of our analytic practices to help us understand how visitors use and interact with the Site, for example, which pages users visit most often. These cookies also enable us to personalize content and remember your preferences. These cookies help us improve the way our Site works and provide a better, personalized user experience. Some of our performance-related cookies are managed for us by third parties.
- Advertising or targeted related. These cookies record your visits to the Site, the pages you have visited, and the links you have clicked. They gather information about your browsing habits and remember that you have visited a particular website. GreenTree and its third-party advertising platforms or networks may use this information to make the Site, its content, and advertisements displayed on our websites more relevant to your interests (this is sometimes called “behavioral” or “targeted” advertising and is further discussed below). These types of cookies are also used to limit the number of times you see an advertisement and to help measure the effectiveness of advertising campaigns.
From time to time, we may enable and implement various Google Analytics solutions, such as Remarketing with Google Analytics, Demographics and Interest Reporting, Segments, Campaign Manager, and Display & Video 360. Remarketing with Analytics uses Google Analytics cookies to show you advertisements across the internet based on your visits to the Site. Demographics and Interest Reporting uses a third-party cookie to collect information about our Site traffic by tracking users across websites and across time. Segments isolates and analyzes subsets of Site users by sorting our Google Analytics data. Campaign Manager and Display & Video 360 allow us to view, analyze, and create remarketing lists using our Campaign data. To opt out of remarketing advertising provided through Google, to customize your ad preferences, or to limit Google’s collection or use this information, visit Google’s Safety Center and Google’s Ad Settings and follow Google’s personalized ad opt-out instructions. Opting out will not affect your use of the Site.
Advertising Networks, Personalized Advertising, Remarketing, and Retargeting. The Site may use or participate in advertising networks and related advertising services that are managed and provided by third-party advertising servers, advertising agencies, technology vendors, and research firms, including advertising retargeting services provided by Facebook (sometimes referred to the Facebook “tracking pixel”) and Google AdWords. These services collect information about your visits to and interactions with the Site and other websites and will use that information to target advertisements for goods and services. The information collected may be associated with your personal information. These targeted advertisements may appear on the Site or on other websites. Advertising networks often gather data about consumers who view advertisements to make inferences about a consumer’s interests and preferences, which enables their computers to deliver advertisements directly targeted to the consumer’s specific interests. This practice is often referred to as “online behavioral advertising.” For example, a third-party advertising network might collect the type of internet browser you use, the type of computer operating system you use, the domain name of a website you visit, whether or not you visit specific pages of the Site and other websites, the location of your internet service provider, the date and time of a visit to a website, and other interactions between you and a website.
If you have a Facebook account but do not wish Facebook to collect data relating to you via the Site, we suggest that you: (a) hide social media platform plug-ins using an ad blocker; (b) always log off completely from Facebook before visiting other websites and delete all related cookies; and, (c) where the option is available, disable the advertising services and networks operated by Facebook.
We may use Google Ads to serve ads on our behalf across the internet and on the Site. Google uses your internet searches, cookies, and similar identifiers (e.g., pixel tags) to collect anonymous information about your visits to the Site and your interaction with our products and services to generate targeted advertisements to you on other websites that you visit across the internet. To opt out of remarketing advertising provided through Google, to customize your ad preferences, or to limit Google’s collection or use this information, visit Google’s Safety Center and Google’s Ad Settings and follow Google’s personalized ad opt-out instructions. Opting out will not affect your use of the Site.
To change your preferences with respect to certain online ads and to obtain more information about third-party ad networks and online behavioral advertising, please visit the National Advertising Initiative Consumer opt-out page or the Digital Advertising Alliance Self-Regulatory Program. Please remember that changing your settings with individual browsers or ad networks will not necessarily carry over to other browsers or ad networks. As a result, depending on the opt-outs you request, you may still see our ads from time to time. To opt out of remarketing advertising provided through Google, to customize your ad preferences, or to limit Google’s collection or use this information, visit Google’s Safety Center and Google’s Ad Settings and follow Google’s personalized ad opt-out instructions. Opting out will not affect your use of the Site.
Social Media. GreenTree is active on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn. You have the opportunity to comment on those social media platforms regarding GreenTree and the products and services we offer. GreenTree reserves the rights to post on its websites and social media pages any comments or content that you post on our social media pages. GreenTree will be held harmless and without liability for the results of any and all third party reposts to any and all other locations, including the direct or assumed meaning regarding content from all social media websites.
How We Use and Share Your Personal Information
Purpose Collected & Communication With You. We will use and share your personal information and other Collected Information for the purpose for which it was collected, for example, to administer GreenTree business activities, to process and communicate with you in connection with your reservations and your online account, to communicate with you in connection with inquiries, and to provide you with information and communications that you request.
Sharing Collected Information with Other Third Parties. We may share Collected Information with third parties that have products or services that we think may be of interest to you. You may opt out of receiving communications from any such third party pursuant to such third party’s policies. We do not control any third party or their policies.
Evaluation and Improvement of the Site, User Demographics, and Aggregation. We may use and disclose Collected Information: to analyze, develop, and improve the content, materials, products, and services that we make available (including the Site); to inform marketing and communication plans and strategies; to understand the Site’s demographics and user preferences; to evaluate Site user needs and customize Site content, promotional emails, and users’ browsing experience; and for other legitimate and lawful business purposes. We may also aggregate personal information and other Collected Information to create aggregate data on Site users that describes users as a group but does not reveal the identity of individual users. We may use aggregate data to understand Site users’ needs, to determine Site user demographics and usage patterns, to determine what kinds of products and services we can provide, and to improve and enrich our products, our services, and the Site.
Business Transfers. We may choose to buy or sell assets from time to time. We may share Collected Information in connection with the evaluation of those transactions. We may transfer Collected Information if we enter into those transactions. Also, if we (or our assets) are acquired or if we go out of business, enter bankruptcy, or go through some other change of control or reorganization, personal information and other Collected Information could be one of the assets transferred to or acquired by a third party.
To Protect GreenTree and Others. We may share your personal information with law enforcement, regulatory authorities, courts with competent jurisdictions, emergency services, and other necessary third parties for legal, protection, security, and safety purposes, including: (a) to comply with laws or regulatory requirements and to respond to lawful requests and legal process; (b) to perform credit checks, report or collect debts owed; (c) to protect the rights and property of GreenTree, its agents and customers, and others, including to enforce our agreements, policies, and terms and to protect our network and physical assets; and (d) to protect the safety of our employees, agents, and customers, and any other person.
Legal Basis for Processing Your Personal Information (EEA Only)
If you are an individual from the EEA, our legal basis for collecting and using personal information will depend on the personal information concerned and the specific context in which we collect it. However, we will normally collect personal information from you only where: (a) we have your consent to do so; (b) where we need the personal information to perform a contract with you; or (c) where the processing is in our or a third party’s legitimate interests and not overridden by your data protection interests or fundamental rights and freedoms. In some cases, we may also have a legal obligation to collect personal information from you or may otherwise need the personal information to protect your vital interests or those of another person.
If you have any questions or need further information concerning the legal basis on which we collect and use your personal information, please contact us using the details provided below.
International Transfers of Your Personal Information
In operating the Site, your personal information may be transferred to, stored in, and processed in countries other than the country in which you are resident. Those countries may have data protection laws that are different from those of your country and, in some cases, may not be as protective. Specifically, our Site servers and some of our service providers are located in the United States and our affiliated companies and third-party service providers and partners operate around the world. This means that when we collect your personal information we may process it in other countries.
How Long We Retain Your Personal Information
With regard to personal information collected using Google Analytics as discussed above, that information will be retained for 26 months after your last activity on the Site.
For personal information that we process on behalf of our customers, we will retain that personal information in accordance with the terms of our agreement with them, subject to applicable law.
Your Rights and Choices Regarding Your Personal Information
You have the following data protection rights:
- If you wish to access, correct, update, or request deletion of your personal information, you can do so at any time by visiting your online account or contacting us.
- In addition, if you are a resident of the European Union, you can object to the processing of your personal information, you can ask us to restrict processing of your personal information, and you can request portability of your personal information. You can exercise these rights by contacting us.
- You have the right to opt out of marketing communications we send you at any time. You can exercise this right by clicking on the “unsubscribe” or “opt out” link in the marketing emails we send you. To opt out of other forms of marketing, such as postal marketing or telemarketing, if applicable, then please contact us.
- Similarly, if we have collected and process your personal information with your consent, then you can withdraw your consent at any time. Withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing we conducted prior to your withdrawal, nor will it affect processing of your personal information conducted in reliance on lawful processing grounds other than consent.
- If you are a resident of France, you may provide us with instructions regarding the manner in which we may continue to store, erase, and share your information after your death, and, where applicable, the person you have designated to exercise these rights after your death.
- You have the right to complain to a data protection authority about our collection and use of your personal information. For more information please contact your local data protection authority. Contact information for data protection authorities in the EEA, Switzerland, and certain non-European countries (including the United States and Canada) are available here.
- For details on how to manage your preferences for cookies and tracking technologies within your web browser, please read the information provided above under “Cookies.”
We respond to all requests we receive from individuals wishing to exercise their data protection rights in accordance with applicable data protection laws.
California Privacy Rights
California Civil Code Section § 1798.83 permits users of our Site that are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please contact us.
Access by Children
The Site is not directed at children under 18 years of age. GreenTree does not knowingly collect or use information from children under 18 through the Site. If you have reason to believe that a child under the age of 18 has provided personal information to us through the Site, please contact us and we will use commercially reasonable efforts to delete that information.